This 8 days Self Guided Walking Tour is the best way for you to truly experience most authentically the Romanian Country Life! Piatra Craiului and Bucegi are some of the most popular and appreciated Romanian mountains. In Piatra Craiului, you will discover rare flora and fauna and at the feet of the Bucegi Mountains, you will see lovely pastures, and altogether spectacular landscapes amongst perched sheepfolds and medieval fortresses.
Telescopic hiking poles are recommended!
Your day by day program
Our agent will meet you in Bucharest, at the North Train Station, to give you your documents (road book, maps…). You will then get on a train to Brasov (2.40hr). Once you arrive, you will change in Brasov with a train to Zarnesti (50 min). Several train options depending on the arrival flight and if you wish to stop in Brasov to visit this beautiful medieval city. Dinner and Accommodation in a lovely guesthouse in Zarnesti.
Walk in Piatra Craiului (“Rock of the King”) mountains to the typical mountain hut of Curmatura. On your way to the guesthouse, you will cross the fascinating Zarnesti gorges with 200m high vertical walls.
Approx 5h, 15km, +800m, -300m Breakfast, packed lunch and dinner included
Today you will walk on a small ridge going down to Bran castle. This castle was built in the 14th century and had a role of defense against the migratory people. Later it protected Transylvania from the Ottoman invasions. The castle was also associated with the fictional character of Dracula, who was based on the prince Vlad Tepes of Wallachia. Transfer to the same guesthouse as the night before.
Approx. 4h30, 14km, +300m, -600m Breakfast, packed lunch and dinner included
Trek in the National park of Piatra Craiului till the south of the ridge through pastures, sheepfolds, woods and scattered villages. You will arrive in a Romanian traditional mountain village.
Approx. 4h30, 13km, +300m, -250m Breakfast, packed lunch, dinner included
Leave the Piatra Craiului mountains. An easy walk with “picture post-card” landscapes through scattered villages with small and ancient houses, at the foot of Bucegi mountains. The inhabitants are livestock breeders; therefore the village has a long time tradition in cheese preparing.
Approx. 4h, 14km, -150m, +250m Breakfast, packed lunch, dinner included
Trek towards the Bucegi massif. A long hike which you will not regret: magnificent landscapes and sights of the Piatra Craiului’s crest.
Approx. 6h, 18km, +650m, -900m (Possible shorter walk 4h, 12km, +400m, -700m) Breakfast, packed lunch, dinner included
Continue to hike in the Bucegi mountains. A trek along the meadow of Gutanu and the vertical walls of the Bucegi’s crest. Starting with June you can find the shepherds with their flocks and maybe even ask to taste the cheese they prepare. Take the time and enjoy these landscapes.
Approx. 6h, 18km, +700m, -900m Breakfast, packed lunch, dinner included
Today you will get a private transfer to Brasov and then you'll get on the train to Bucharest. End of the journey
From April to the end of October.
- Bucharest train station.
- Bucharest train station.
- 7 night in lovely guesthouses, in double rooms with showers and toilets (except 1 night with sanitary in common).
- Minimum of 2 people.
- 8 days / 6 days of walking. Medium level of walking with a maximum day at 6 h.
- The transfers of your luggage is ensured. You only have to carry your things needed for the day (picnic, camera...)
- Private transfer (instead of train) from Brasov station to Zarnesti (for 3 pax) : 25€
- Single supplement (price/pax for min. 2 travellers) : 75€
- Private transfer from Bucharest airport to train station, base 4 people : 25€
- Private transfer from Bucharest train station to airport, base 4 people : 25€
- Extra-night in Bucharest, hotel in the centre 3*, base double : 70€
- Day 8 Optional stop to Rasnov on the way to Brasov (~1h stop to visit the fortress) for 3 people : 15€
- 7 breakfasts, 6 picnics, 7 dinners
- All accommodations
- J1 and J8 transfers by train
- Baggage transfer
- The guidebook
- Hiking maps
- Assistance always reachable
- Transport to the meeting point and from the point of dispersion (Gare du Nord)
- The insurance
- The drinks, other than water
- Personal expenses
- Site visits