Known as a cycling paradise, the Netherlands is the home of an extraordinary past and culture. It also offers a blend of idyllic country beauty with its magnificent Tulip fields, ponds, streams and canals as well as its traditional farmlands, windmills and museums. With this cycling tour, you will pedal your way through authentic little villages, such as Edam or Volendam, and discover picturesque landscapes, polders or even the Ijsselmeer.
Your day by day program
During your first day of cycling, visit Edam and Hoorn. The name of Edam comes from the River Ije, around which the town of Ijedam was built. Edam is mostly famous for its succulent cheese.
After leaving Edam, you will cycle through another interesting and typically Dutch town called Hoorn. During the Golden Age (1584-1702), Hoorn was a strategic maritime point for the Dutch East India Company.
End the day by riding through the marvellous Zeevang polder, which will take you all the way up to your hotel.
Distance: 60 km.
Go on to discover the Beemster and its polder. Once a lake whose water was pumped by more than fifteen windmills during the 17th century, this polder has now been inscribed on UNESCO’s list of World Heritage Sites.
You will then cross the beautiful village of ‘De Rijp’, which was once a fishing village. Then, explore another village, which will offer you the chance to travel back in time and to discover the maritime history of the Netherlands. You will also have nice views over the windmills of Lake Schemer.
Start today’s journey by taking a boat trip to the peninsula of Marken, where Dutch traditions run deep and where villages have maintained their timeless peaceful atmosphere. Charming little wooden houses also populate the enchanting streets of the peninsula.
As for Volendam, it is an authentic little Dutch town, with an important cultural heritage. Its political role was once as important as that of Edam.
You will end today’s trip in the great metropolis of Amsterdam.
Distance: 60 km.
The Zannse Schans is one of the most famous touristic locations in the Netherlands. There are so many windmills and wooden houses in the area that Zaanse Schans almost appears like an open-air museum.
You will then cycle through the polder of De Wijde Wormer, which once was a lake similar to the polder of Beemster, but which has since then been drained for arable farming.
Distance: 46 km.
Your trip ends here, after breakfast.
Every day from the 28th of March to the 27th of October.
- At your hotel in Purmerend.
- End in Purmerend after breakfast.
- 4 star hotels (double or twin bedroom with private bathroom and toilets).
Reduction (with 2 adults in a bedroom): child 0-3 years-old -100%, 4-11 years-old -50%.
- From 2.personns
- Easy. Road surface: flat. Distances: from 46 and up to 60 km a day.
- Renting a hybrid bike - 4 days : 50€
- Insurance Hybrid bike : 12€
- Electric bike rental - 4 days : 110€
- Insurance E-bike : 20€
- Child bike rental - 4 days : 50€
- Baby seat - 4 days : 20€
- Half-board supplement ( 4 dinners - 3 courses) : 110€
- Summer supplement (15/06 - 27/08) : 30€
- Supplement for nights in single bedroom : 105€
- Deluxe room extra cost : 40€
- Supplement for nights in single bedroom Deluxe : 135€
- 4 nights in 3 ou 4 star hotels
- Bedroom with en-suite bathroom
- 4 breakfasts
- Information package with maps and road-books
- Free car park at the hotel,
- Hotel taxes
- hotline service (includind de week-end)
- Possibility of half-board in option (4 dinners - courses).
- Ferry crossing from Volendam to Marken : +/- 8€ to be paied on the spot
- Transport options to the meeting point and from the point of dispersal
- Personal travel insurance,
- Evening meals in option (4 dinners - 3 courses)
- Bike rental in option
Cycling the Canal du Midi: from Toulouse to Carcassonne - Mini-break (5 days) comfort hotels
Canal du Midi - Leisure cycling - E-bike tours - Self-guided - E-bike - 5 days / 4 nights